Sunday 30 July 2017

WHITE LION BEER & CIDER FESTIVAL

I discovered from my diary, that I went along to this Festival on the same date (23rd July- Saturday), last year, but this year, it was Sunday. Having had a very late night, & not falling asleep in my chair, I got up after mid-day, & walked to the pub. It was warm, in the sun, & I announced my arrival to the token table. I was made to feel welcome, & a shade was put up for me, at 1 of the tables in the centre of the courtyard. I chose Castle Rock Brian Clough, 4.2% & £1.50, from the list supplied, a pilsner-style pale ale, which wasn't bad, although I don't usually go for this kind of beer. I must mention that I was only drinking 1/2s. To soak up the alcohol, I had a very tasty chicken & bacon mayo crusty white cob, £1.50 & about 600 kc. Other brews worthy of note, were Shipstone's IP Ale, 5.5%, Old Sawley's own Tollbridge Porter, 4.5%, very good of its kind, & Snailsbank Rhubarb Cider- the advertised Lilley's (4%), had run out. There wasn't much of a problem with ales running out, despite this being the last day of the Festival. I had a maximum of 3 pts., to remain standing, & bought a jar of Tomato & Chilli Dipping Sauce from Pete's Preserves- £2.30 for 275g. at the Festival. Music was provided, in the shape of vocal guitarist Asa Greenfield, who played a pleasant 43 min. session. I walked home, as rain began, albeit light, forgetting to redeem my remaining tokens (hope I can get my money back later!). The rain came down heavily around 6 o'clock, but not for very long. I met Fred & his new dog Basil, on Plant Lane. I can recommend the White Lion as a good real ale pub, & the Festival is certainly worth visiting, so mark it down for next year!
C R Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment